Cold Weather Shelter Coordinator
Job Description Summary:
There are two positions available. The lead shelter coordinator who will work Monday through Thursday and the weekend coordinator who will work Friday through Sunday. The hours will be determined by the needs of the position but will not exceed 5 hours Monday – Thursday and 3 hours Friday – Sunday. The exceptions to these hours are based on need to fill volunteer gaps in the schedule. The hourly range is $14-$16 depending on qualifications.
The job descriptions are basically the same except the lead coordinator will work closely with the Kittitas Valley Ministerial Association (KVMA) representative in all aspects of shelter management and the weekend coordinator will assist.
These positions are made possible by a grant from the Kittitas County Board of Commissioners’ Homeless and Affordable Housing Committee. The position is located at FISH’s administrative offices 804 Elmview Road; Ellensburg, WA.
The positions will begin right away and will end approximately April 1 – 15, depending on the weather. When the shelters close, there is another 2 weeks of work to close down the operation and complete the needed reports before the lead position ends. The weekend position is finished soon after the shelter’s close depending on the needs of inventory and packing equipment.
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Effectively and efficiently oversee the daily operations of the Ellensburg Cold Weather Shelter to provide nightly shelter, safe sleeping arrangement, a nutrition food service and other coordinated services for those experiencing homelessness in our community.
- Effectively recruits, trains and schedules volunteers for the shelters. This is done working with the participating churches and the KVMA representative.
- Assures adequate daily/overnight staffing of the shelters and food service deliveries. Serves as back up if volunteers are unable to meet their schedule.
- Acts as primary contact for participating church partners and other community partners.
- Works with FISH’s Executive Director and the KVMA representative to develop outreach for information about shelter operations and numbers.
- Works effectively with FISH’s volunteer management system to assure all data is included.
- Works effectively with software requirements for management of guest demographics at the shelters.
- Works effectively with FISH’s Open Table staff to develop menus and schedule food deliveries.
- Maintains a balanced budget and is good steward of budgeted funds. Reports monthly to Executive Director on status of budget.
- After approvals from the Executive Director, places orders. Processes all invoices in a timely manner and maintains records required by the grant process.
- Participates in FISH’s weekly staff meetings.
Successful candidates will be trained on all software, all shelter policies and procedures and will be coached on effective ways to present materials.
Qualifications: Experienced in budget management, supervising staff, good organizational skills, good verbal and written communication skills, good to excellent computer skills. Valid Driver’s License, clean driving record, reliable transportation*. Experience working with volunteers a real plus.
The successful candidates will have a heart for those experiencing homelessness, and will have a work history that demonstrates a strong work ethic,
Qualified and interested candidates may apply by sending a cover letter and resume to [email protected] or mailing to Peggy Morache, Executive Director, FISH Community Food Bank; PO Box 85, Ellensburg WA 98926.